Keeping up to date with the ever-changing online landscape can be difficult and time consuming for some. How are you supposed to find time to keep everything up to date!? How do you know what key things to keep on top of when there can be so much to manage when it comes to online sites, including content and images through to reporting tools and revenue management.
Rooms Online has asked New Zealand’s leading online travel agents, Booking.com and Expedia directly to share their advice with you, our audience;
HOW CAN OUR AUDIENCE GET THE MOST FROM LISTING WITH ONLINE TRAVEL AGENTS (OTAs)?
- Booking.com: Put yourself in the guest’s shoes. How does the guest see your property, would you book your own property?
- Expedia: Understand what marketing tools are available with the OTA – significant performance increases are capable when utilising available tools effectively.
WHAT IS YOUR TOP TIP FOR ACHIEVING SUCCESSFUL REVENUE MANAGEMENT?
- Booking.com: Match your availability and rates to customer demand
- Expedia: Ensure that you always look at the full 12 months – missing out on long-lead bookings is detrimental to the bottom line.
ANY ADVICE FOR NEW OR LESS EXPERIENCED ACCOMMODATION OPERATORS?
- Booking.com: Stay visible and be seen. Load rates & availability as far in advance as possible. Keep content up to date and accurate
- Expedia: Test and learn: It’s better to do something and fail trying than do nothing at all. The online landscape changes daily and with it customer expectation and behaviour changes also – be ready to adapt.
HOW ABOUT ATTRACTING DIRECT SALES?
- Booking.com: See the first tip – always put yourself in the guest’s shoes.
- Expedia: Content is key. Having a mobile friendly site that also translates to multiple languages is a must these days.